Saturday, June 27, 2009

I'm an addict

I've known for a long time that I have an addictive personality. There's family history and all that, but I can see it in my own life as well. Growing up, I was basically borderline OCD. So because of that, I've made a point to keep away from the things that would seriously mess me up. I only drink socially, and I don't do drugs.

Of course, the fact that I'm borderline OCD means that it is very hard for me to do good things, too. I can never get into the habbit of exercising, which means that my weight, which was 180 in high school, when I was playing football, has gone up to 240 in the seven years since I graduated.

Part of the problem is that I'm an addict.

My addictions aren't as glamorous or accepted as alcohol or crack. Might be easier for people to accept if I were an alcoholic. No, I'm addicted to video games and networking sites like Twitter and Facebook.

Of course, most people just say I'm lazy, and should get out and exercise. That's because they don't understand what its like. My internet went out for a week earlier in the year, and I was twitching so bad, you wouldn't believe. No twitter, no world of warcraft? I was going to the public library just so I could keep track of my Facebook!

A normal friday night for me is to come home from work, sit down at the computer, and then spend the next few hours either Tweeting, or killing kobolds in World of Warcraft. I live at the beach, but I've actually gone on the sand only five times in the last five years.

I am an addict, but what can ya do?

No comments:

Post a Comment