Friday, September 24, 2010

Elves, Dragons, and Electric Guitars

I have to say that, given a choice, I don't listen to any American music any more. Not that I have anything against America. I love it here. But I simply can't stand Country, Pop reminds me of all the most idiotic parts of high school, and I outgrew my rap phase years ago. With a few exceptions, the best music I've heard recently is from European groups like Rhapsody of Fire or Blind Guardian or Nightwish. I crave something more than the basic country line of "My dog died, My Wife left me, and My truck broke down", or the incessant teen pop that is everywhere, or rappers telling me how great life is when you deal drugs and shoot people. I just don't need any of that stuff.

What I want is something to take me out of my own life, and into something better, more exciting, more epic. Which is why groups like Rhapsody of Fire appeal to me. For those of you unfamiliar with Rhapsody of Fire (pretty much all of you, I'd guess), take one part Metallica, back when they were good, one part orchestra, and season with a liberal dose of Lord of the Rings. Stir well, and in short order you have AWESOMENESS!

Seriously, though. Most music coming from America these days is either depressing, enraged, or inane. A Rhapsody of Fire album is more than just a collection of singles made for radio, it is a story, bridging multiple albums, where you can set them up in order on your iPod and just run through the albums in order, and hear the story weaving around you, sweeping you up along with it. You just don't get that from boy bands and slutty pop princesses. You don't find that in the drek that you find in Nashville. You'll never witness that on a gangsta rap album.

When I'm needing music, I can think of little better than to hear tales of elves and dragons, to the melody of an electric guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment